The creative process is a weird and wonderful thing. I sat down to write a blog post (very conscious that I allowed myself to skip writing one yesterday, being a holiday and all). I wasn’t sure, though, what I wanted to write about today, except for a progress report on the goals I set myself a week ago. “Well, I’ll need an image to go with it,” I thought. “What have I got that I’ve never posted on the blog.”
An hour later, and here we go. I like this one almost as much as Versial from a couple days ago! The text overlay, if you can’t quite make it out, includes words like “fairy tale” and “imagine” and “undulations” and “poet” and “intelligible histories” — all so perfect for the theme I was going for with this image, and completely by chance as I picked this particular stock image based on the visual look alone.
It’s like the muses are parting the clouds for me today! I ought to get finished with this post and use some of that magic on my writing projects.
But first, that update!
Last week’s goals:
- City of Bridges Triennelle plot summary – due Sunday pm (schedule writing date with Anna on Saturday?) DONE! I didn’t get the summary written out quite as completely as I intended, but it’s in my head. More significantly, I figured out the main plot problem that was vexing me.
- City of Bridges Draft of The Barbarian chapter – due Friday pm Done-ish? My plot machinations are such that I don’t think I need to change the bulk of what happens here, and I’m waiting on the fine tuning until I have drafts of all the parts done. So I haven’t actually worked on this, but it’s ok as it is for now.
- City of Bridges Draft of The Princess and/or The Ghost (depending on how the plot summary evolves) – stretch goal, due Friday pm In Progress. I might get the rough draft of The Ghost done today, if I’m diligent.
- City of Bridges rewrite summary for Wattpad – due Friday pm Not Done. I have until the end of the day, technically….
- Other WIPS – nothing scheduled, going to focus energy on COB because of the Wattys Check. I’ve actually spent a chunk of time sifting through stock photos for the new COB cover.
- Other – dust off that writing journal and start using it again Partial Credit. I did get it out Saturday and make an entry, but that’s it.
- Daily blog posts DONE! I’m giving myself full credit for this one, despite yesterday’s holiday. Good job, me!
This week’s goals:
- City of Bridges rewrite summary for Wattpad – due tonight
- City of Bridges draft of The Ghost – due Saturday night
- City of Bridges draft The Princess – due Tuesday night
- City of Bridges draft The Bull – due Friday night
- City of Bridges – corrections in Wattpad text – due before July 19 (hopeful date for new cover and summary uploads)
- Daily blog posts
That’s some pretty hefty writing goals, so I’m going to have to try and stay really focused. Especially since I have a large freelance editing project on top of the day job. So time to hit publish on this and get at it!